b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] El = God?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] El = God?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:20:52 +0300

But that's just the debate. Literally, "el-'elyon" simply means "most high
god". Now since the deciphering of Ugaritic literature in the 1930's, we are
aware that El (or Illu) was also the "name" of the chief god at Ugarit, and
presumably (but not really proven) in Canaan as well, and that "elyon"
(alyan? - who really knows?) was a common epithet for that god. It was also
used for Baal. So here's the thing. Up until the 20th century, it was assumed
that Gen. 14 meant to say that Melchizedek was a king-priest of God, the same
God worshipped by Abraham. This is certainly the interpretation picked up by
the Psalmist in 110, and in later Jewish and Christian literature. But now we
know that there's another possibility - that Gen. 10 meant to contrast
Melchizedek's "most high god" with Abraham's "YHWH el-'elyon" in verse 22.
Possible. But which interpretation makes more sense in the context of Gen.
14. If you ask me, I'd go for the "old" interpretation, that the whole point
of the story is to claim that (Jeru-)Salem was a place of "YHWH el-'elyon"
worship even in the days of Abraham. If the author had any knowledge of the
Ugaritic (and Canaanite) "el-'elyon", he was subverting the title for his own
use.

(I don't have an iPad or iAnything either)

Yigal Levin