b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] El = God?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] El = God?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 21:10:42 -0700

Dear Jim,

KJV:
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the
priest of the most high God.

Hebrew Text (MT);
וּמַלְכִּי־צֶ֙דֶק֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ שָׁלֵ֔ם הֹוצִ֖יא לֶ֣חֶם וָיָ֑יִן וְה֥וּא כֹהֵ֖ן
לְאֵ֥ל עֶלְיֹֽון׃

Greek OT (LXX):
18 καὶ Μελχισεδεκ βασιλεὺς Σαλημ ἐξήνεγκεν ἄρτους καὶ οἶνον, ἦν δὲ ἱερεὺς
τοῦ
θεοῦ τοῦ ὑψίστου.

In the Hebrew and Greek Melchizedek is the King (noun- NOT VERB) of SALEM;
even
if, for the sake of argument, you read the Hebrew without the Massoretic
pointing. Context is being ignored. You are arguing from silence and from not
knowing Hebrew. Both the Law of Moses, ca. 1400 BC and LXX, ca. 250 BC are
ancient texts.

Back to square one.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III