b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] [B-Hebrew] Re:El in Genesis 14:18 was El = God?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT mac.com>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] [B-Hebrew] Re:El in Genesis 14:18 was El = God?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:32:35 -0500

The key is in Abraham's response in verse 22 where he repeats what
Melchizedek says with the pronounced addition of the tetragrammaton. Abraham
(or the author) is playing off of the inherit ambiguity in the term El. If
Melchizedek is a priest of YHWH, El Elyon, there is no need for Abraham's
addition. How on earth would Melchizedek be a worshiper of YHWH? What we have
here is the Old Testament's version of Paul's Mars Hill speech. Abraham is
saying, "Melchizedek, that God Most High you've been worshipping is, in
reality, YHWH, God Most High." this is consistent with the way the character
Abraham is portrayed. He has been going around to all these pagan shrines and
building altars near them to YHWH who happens to proclaim himself to be the
God of whatever attribute the local Canaanite god is over. At the oaks of
Mamre and Moreh (asters shrines, fertility cult places) YHWH promises Abram a
son, and at Bethel (locus of a shrine to El, creator deity and owner of the
land) YHWH promises him the land! Abraham is preaching to the Canaanite
without opening his mouth. With the Melchizedek incident, he teaches his
friend, the king of Sodom, that YHWH is God most high. In Psalm 110, in my
opinion, that dynamic is at play. Why does Abraham legitimize this pagan
priest by tithing to him? Answer: he's not so pagan. His heart is after God
(el) and Abraham has been sent to teach him the identity of that Most High
God.

Sent from my iPad
(Because ORU bought me one)
Donald R. Vance