b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hello. I just joined.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hello. I just joined.
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 11:39:19 -0700

Shelly, welcome.

It’s good that you introduced yourself so that we know where you are coming
from. In return, I am one of the most orthodox within Lutheran theology,
based on the belief on Biblical inerrency in the original autographs in all
matters including creation. I am so close to the teachings of the
Reformation that sometimes I have even used the strong language common among
the Reformers, which has often gotten me in trouble with the moderators of
the forum. But as Yigal and Pere wrote, this is not a theological forum,
rather one dealing with the language of the Bible.

Biblical Hebrew is not as well known as some of us would like to claim. As a
result, sometimes one’s *Weltanschauung* influences how he understands
individual words and even passages of the Bible. In such cases, we are to
agree to disagree.

How much of the Old Testament have you read in Hebrew? Even once cover to
cover? If you haven’t read it through cover to cover, we won’t hold it
against you, because apparently (from discussions on this forum) it is
fairly rare for even a scholar to have read the Old Testament through in
Hebrew (and Aramaic) even once, and almost unheard of for someone to have
read it two or more times cover to cover. I encourage you to do so, it will
give you more questions.

In closing, sign your full name, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and this
forum can help you learn Biblical Hebrew better, as it has helped me.