b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Idioms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Idioms
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:47:55 -0500

That's interesting, Doug. I have never been clear that the concept of a Messiah, other than that of someone who had been anointed/smeared with oil as a sort of "badge of honor," existed prior to the late second temple period. I think the concept of a salvific warrior-priest began to crystalize during the gruesome persecution of the Pharisees by Jonathan/Alexander Jannaeus (the "wicked priest" of Pesher Habakkuk) and evolved during the hegemony of the "kittim" (Romans). I think we see the beginnings of Messianic "hope" beginning to form in 4Q175 (Testimonia) with its TWO Messiahs, the Davidic warrior king who will kick butt and restore Israel and his sidekick, the priestly Messiah; and the Manual of Discipline 1QS. This suggests that the author of the 2nd temple concept may have been the Moreh haTsaddik himself. I think the conjoining of the two Messiahs, as found in CD, occurred during the "kittim" period post 63 BCE.

Jack

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Belot