b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 17:9-10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>,<b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 17:9-10
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 14:22:52 -0200

the association kidney-heart is very natural. i suspect your translation
KLYWT=reins is wrong
(or french).

 i agree the waw is not very natural as it creates a problem of connectivity
between the two couplets
of 17:10. but this problem is not solved under your inerpretation: the
connective BAXON is, again,
not natural, grammatically.

in addition, from both form and content i consider the remedy worse than the
problem.
the phrase in its traditional form is divided into two balanced synonymous,
perfectly intelligible
couplets. but the suggested BAXON KLY W-TAW LTT: "to examine an instrument
and a mark to give..."
both etymologically and contextually sounds quite odd to me.

nir cohen