b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Asher in Ps 51:10?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Asher in Ps 51:10?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:39:35 +0300

[Pere]
>> I sincerely think that you're completely mistaken at claiming that DKYT in
>> Ps 51:10 is an adjective.

Agreed.
DKYT is not marked as a fem. plural according to the spelling
conventions of Ps 51. Also, DKY is not attested as an adjective elsewhere.
Verbs behind DKYT are attested, which would fit dikkita 'you crushed +O'.
I did generate an adjective form, otherwise unattested in BH
dekuyyot 'crushed, f.pl.' But the spelling of that must be justified.

[KR]
> Then how do you explain the missing )$R that should be there if DKYT is a
> verb? But if it is an adjective, then )$R should not be there and it isn’t.

Who imposed the rule that an asher MUST be there?
That is silly.
BH does not operate that way.

Is 51.2 "Look to Avraham your father and
to Sarah [who] gives you birth.
אל שרה תחוללכם
there is no asher!
For lots of examples,
see Jouon-Muraoka 158.a,b,c,d.
like Jer 13.20 where is the herd that was given you?
איה העדר נתן לך
Dt 32.17 'gods that you have not known'
אלהים לא ידעום

And anyone who claims that d.k.y.t is an adjective must come up with a
vocalizsation that allows it to mark 'concord' with its noun.

And once that vocalization is worked out, then they must explain why
the 'w' is missing in d.k.y.t at least once and possibly twice.
Psalm 51 is written where helping vowel letters are used throughout.
d.k.y.t is not a plural adjective that marks concord with `.S.m.w.t 'bones'.

So I can only side with Pere's "strongly disagree with adjective"
position. This is not a close call. It's BH.

braxot
Randall
--
Randall Buth, PhD