b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher in Ps 51:10?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher in Ps 51:10?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:54:45 -0700

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>wrote:

> [Pere]
> >> I sincerely think that you're completely mistaken at claiming that DKYT
> in
> >> Ps 51:10 is an adjective.
>
> Agreed.
> DKYT is not marked as a fem. plural according to the spelling
> conventions of Ps 51.

The spelling convention of Psalm 51 is conventional for pre-Exile Biblical
Hebrew.

As for the feminine plural, the -YT suffix is used with this spelling e.g.
Exodus 1:19 or interchangeably with -YWT spelling, e.g. 1 Kings 11:1.

The -YT suffix is also used for masculine, e.g. Leviticus 13.

> Also, DKY is not attested as an adjective elsewhere.

We are talking about DKYT, not DKY. DKY is a noun found in Psalm 93:3.

With the number of words that are used only once in Tanakh, we need to ask
does this fit the pattern used for the -YT suffix used elsewhere in Tanakh,
and the answer is affirmative.

> Verbs behind DKYT are attested, which would fit dikkita 'you crushed +O'.
> I did generate an adjective form, otherwise unattested in BH
> dekuyyot 'crushed, f.pl.' But the spelling of that must be justified.

Conjecture.

> [KR]
> > Then how do you explain the missing )$R that should be there if DKYT is a
> > verb? But if it is an adjective, then )$R should not be there and it
> isn’t.
>
> Who imposed the rule that an asher MUST be there?
> That is silly.
> BH does not operate that way.
>
> Is 51.2 "Look to Avraham your father and
> to Sarah [who] gives you birth.
> אל שרה תחוללכם
> there is no asher!

הביטו אל אברהם אביכם ואל שרה תחוללכם has one verb, הביטו followed by
nouns אביכם and תחוללכם. Translated, “Look closely to Abraham your father
and to Sarah the one who produced you”. This is a different sentence
structure than what we are discussing in Psalm 51:10.

> For lots of examples,
> see Jouon-Muraoka 158.a,b,c,d.
> like Jer 13.20 where is the herd that was given you?
> איה העדר נתן לך

This is a passive, niphal, and passives in both Biblical Hebrew and English,
the “which” is optional.

> Dt 32.17 'gods that you have not known'
> אלהים לא ידעום

Read the context, starting in verse 15. This is a third person plural verb
with a third person plural suffix.

> So I can only side with Pere's "strongly disagree with adjective"
> position. This is not a close call. It's BH.
>
> braxot
> Randall
>
> I don’t have access to Jouon-Muraoka, so I have no idea what they talk
about. If you are going to cite books, the least you can do is to quote from
them for the benefit of those on this list who don’t have those books. As
for the examples you gave, they are weak at best, as a result are
unconvincing.