b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Plural of חֵרֵשׁ (deaf)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Plural of חֵרֵשׁ (deaf)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 11:02:48 +0000

Hi Pere!

Firstly, 'reduction' is a technical term meaning to remove a vowel and have
its place taken by a shewa. So, that's we are observing with the second sere
in חֵרְשִׁים.

Secondly, the examples you give for proving your point are all verbs. Since
verbs follow their own verb paradigms with distinctive features for each
stem, of course you will find things different there. The 'normal conditions'
I was referring to was the declension of the noun. What happens in verb
conjugations is not germane to what happens in noun declensions. By proper
grammatical process, the first sere in חֵרְשִׁים should become a hatef-patah
through vowel reduction, leaving the second sere intact. My question is, why
does this not happen?

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au