b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Plural of חֵרֵשׁ (deaf)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Plural of חֵרֵשׁ (deaf)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 07:34:10 +0200

George,

I would say that in חֵרְשִׁים the second sere of חֵרֵשׁ does not get
reduced. it simply vanishes and a shewa takes its place.

You assume that "under normal conditions" the first tsere would get reduced.
But this is not true.

a) first root consonant guttural:

In Gn 5:29 ------- אֵרְרָהּ, he cursed her (Some codexes have hatef patah
and not shewa)

b) first root consonant other than guttural:

In Jb 6:7 -------- מֵאֲנָה, she rejected (and not מֲאֵנָה)
In Ps 129:8 ------- בֵּרַכְנוּ, we blessed, of בֵּרֵךְ (Ps 10:3)

As for a reference:

-1. First of all my own work on Hebrew patterns (named "Oham" = Otsar
ha-mishqalym), where I've deeply studied about nine thousand (9,000)
patterns.

-2. The Academy of the Hebrew Language stated: Nouns having sere in their
first syllable and also in their second one drop the second sere and take
shewa instead, with the following exception:
They take segol and not shewa when suffixes -kha, -khem or -khen are added;
but if the second root consonant is guttural a patah replaces the segol.

But remark: the first sere remains.

Of course, I can give you the Academy's exact reference if it is of your
interest.

I hope this will be useful and helpful.

Kind regards from

Pere Porta