b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:10 and Jeremiah 22:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:10 and Jeremiah 22:7
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 00:24:08 -0400

In my bible W-HA-MA-SKIYL-IYM of Dan. 12:10 is written with a yud between the K and the L. Indeed, there is no dagesh in the letter L, since the dagesh hints, in my opinion, to the xiriyq and is therefore not needed in plene writing. See, by contrast, the word $IQUC in the next verse.
The fact that there is no dagesh in the letter T of MA-$XIT-IYM in Jer.22:7 means, in my opinion, that a yud used to be there at the time the dgeshim were put into the biblical text, but is now lost.

Isaac Fried, Boston University