b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:10 and Jeremiah 22:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: joel AT exc.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: greifer AT hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:10 and Jeremiah 22:7
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 12:08:30 -0400 (EDT)

>In Dan. 12:10 the word "wise ones" is spelled hay mem sin kaf lamed
>yud mem, but I thought it is supposed to have another yud in it as a

In general, the vocalic YUD was only used when deemed necessary, so,
yes, it's common to find it "omitted" from what we would consider
normal spelling.

There also seems to have been a mild aversion to using two vocalic
YUDs in the same word. MASKILIM has a YUD in the plural ending -IM,
making it less likely that we'd see a YUD in the middle of the word,
and similarly with MASHCHITIM.

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.lashon.net

Have you seen my new videos exploring the Bible?
http://www.ExploringTheBibleVideos.org
"Longer than a Soundbite. Shorter than a Lecture."