b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Arnaud Fournet <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 19:41:24 -0800

Arnaud:

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Arnaud Fournet
<fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>wrote:

> From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
>

>> Genesis 1:3 “and there was light (light came into existence)” yiqtol.
>> Unless
>> one subscribes to the theological position that God is continuously
>> creating
>> light, this is a one-time, finished event. This is a completed action, yet
>> yiqtol.
>>
> ***
> Anyway translation into another language blurs whatever original meaning it
> had.
>
> The act of creation is one-time but light came into existence for ever.
> Hence Yiqtol: a stable state.
>
> A.

***

Repeatedly in these first three chapters of Genesis, the verb HYH in its
contexts in qatal and yiqtol indicates the transition from non-being to
being, in other words, becoming and/or being created. That transition
happened once, and is completed action. This is one of those examples.

>> Exodus 3:7 “I surely see the humiliation of my people in Egypt and I hear
>> their outcry because of those who treat them harshly and I know their
>> pain.”
>> three qatals referring to incomplete, durative, continuing action at the
>> time the statement was made.
>>
> ***
> Then maybe the translation again is an issue.
> Maybe I did see, I did hear and I do know would convey the meaning better.

To me, this response looks like grasping at straws—you still admit that
knowing is incomplete, durative, continuing action, so why not the other two
actions as well? Look also at verse 9.

> Arnaud Fournet
> ***

Unless otherwise indicated, every translation I post on this list is my own
translation, indicating my understanding of the Hebrew text.