b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] parent & child

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] parent & child
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:00:45 -0500

Ugarit was NOT a "small and unimportant city." It was a major port in
the 2nd millennium. There is also evidence of variations on the Ugaritic
alphabet--but all so far have been dead-ends. But, every time someone
turns over a stone in the near east, that could change...

Also, they are continuing to uncover inscriptions in the Levant. See,
for example:
Literate Culture and Tenth-Century Canaan: The Tel Zayit Abecedary in
Context
Edited by Ron E. Tappy and P. Kyle McCarter Jr.
And, most recently:
Writing and Literacy in the World of Ancient Israel: Epigraphic Evidence
from the Iron Age
by Christopher Rollston

McCarter and Rollston are some of the leading Hebrew epigraphers right
now.

James

James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division