b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] parent & child

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] parent & child
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:54:38 +0200

Isn't it interesting that both Wiki entries were last modified today! Wonder
how that happened.

Anyway, there is no reason to think that Jabal al-Lawz has anything to do
with anything biblical or that there were ever Bronze or Iron Age Canaanites
or Israelites there. As far as the Temple Mount - yes, it is reasonable that
there was a library or archive there. However, considering that the Temple
was burned to the ground twice, not to mention other conqueror over the
ages, plus the extensive renovations done by Herod, plus the wet climate of
Jerusalem, make it very unlikely that any parchment or papyrus has survived.
For comparison, think of the dozens of bullae that were found in the nearby
City of David, which are proof that there was an archive that burned,
causing the clay bullae to harden and survive.

Yigal Levin