b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 31:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 31:12
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:10:33 +0100

>>> (Pere)
>>
>> No, a Pual of verbs ayin"yod consisting of M + two root letters, as it
>> is the case for M)D, is not found in Hebrew, Karl. And it is not found
>> because it does not exist.
>>

> (Karl)

> Is it a ayin yod verb, or is it that the noun is derived from a hiphil
> rendering of the root? It is not listed as a verb in the concordance.
>
> So what do you think it is, in a way that fits the context and syntax? The
> adjective “very” does not fit.
>

> In this discussion, I start with context and syntax, then ask “What is it?”
> The message I understand from your posting is that you start, and end, with
> the form as it appears with its Masoretic points. You look at grammar, while
> I look at meaning.
>
> While I try to be careful to avoid the etymological error, at the same time
> I recognize that not all verbs had a three letter root: only the majority
> had triliteral roots, a few have quadriliteral roots, while there are many
> that should have biliteral roots—many but not all of those that are listed
> in dictionaries as ayin waw and ayin yod verbs (in my dictionary I still
> list them according to the traditional triliteral roots, because of
> tradition, but when I read Tanakh I see them acting as biliteral verbs).
>
> So back to this verse, I see a context and syntax indicating that this word
> in its form should be a piel or pual participle, and ask “What is it?” What
> do you say it is?
>
> (Pere)

I think, Karl, that it is the adverb, with meaning "much", (not the
adjective "very" as you write). And I would guess that all scholars would
agree.
Indeed, at giving my answer I centered on the grammar of the word M)D and
not on the meaning of the whole verse.

These are two quite different issues:
--one is the analyzing or parsing of a given word (within a verse)
--one is trying to get the true meaning of the verse where a given word
(analyzed or not) is placed.
Though related, these are two quite different issues.

I'm aware you're trying to get a "rational" translation of this verse, Karl.
I'm not sure of my capabilities of helping you in this respect.
But..... I realize that in the Psalms there are many verses that are quite
difficult to us, to our minds...

Let us take Ps 38:6:
*My wounds fester and stink because of my foolish sins.*

Do you feel this text, this translation is understable to our XXI century
minds?

Now, how could we translate this verse so that it could be understood by
today readers? This is a big problem!

May your work as a lexicographer provide some help to solve it!!

Hearty,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

--