b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] primitivization of language english

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] primitivization of language english
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:55:09 -0600

Hello Yigal:

Thanks for your detailed comments.

My question, first and foremost, was directed to the factual record we have
today; the leningrad codex. Was that document created for consumption by the
general population? And since we have a 10th century date for manufacture of
that document, I suppose my question first and foremost refers to 10th
century consumers of the document. Could the general population of persons
who endorsed or followed that document in the 10th century, read it; and
understand most of it when it was read to them?

My secondary question; assuming a largely similar predecessor document(s)
existed in 500 b.c.; could the general population of persons who followed
the document(s) then; understand it, when it was read to them?

I have serious doubt that 50 or more of 100 people, on any given street in
america today, could understand the book of chronicles read to them in
modern english language.
regards,

fred burlingame