b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ted Walther <ted AT reactor-core.org>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:21:43 -0800

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 02:22:29PM -0800, K Randolph wrote:
Can you give one ancient written example of proto-Semitic? If not, why should
we treat it as anything more than a made up language based on a theory that
could very well be wrong in many ways? Including the so-called ayin/ghayin
split (which apparently exists for Arabic, but did it ever for Biblical
Hebrew?)?

Accepting the ayin/ghayin split gave me better understanding of the word
"ivrit" and its dual meanings. Spelled with a ghayin, it is very close to the
English word "anger". With the ayin, it is very close to English "over". I
know not everyone agrees with Edenics, but I found it it a fascinating link.

Ted

Karl W. Randolph.