b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:22:29 -0800

Uri:

Can you give one ancient written example of proto-Semitic? If not, why
should we treat it as anything more than a made up language based on a
theory that could very well be wrong in many ways? Including the so-called
ayin/ghayin split (which apparently exists for Arabic, but did it ever for
Biblical Hebrew?)?

Karl W. Randolph.