b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs1:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>, "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs1:12)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:40:33 +0100

From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>

I am sorry, but in my humble opinion, "proto-Semitic" is a legend.
***
You mentioned you are a mathematician.
It's quite unfortunate that you have such absurd dogmas,
There is something extremely mathematical and matricial in sound correspondences,
but you fail to perceive that structural feature.
A.
***

A very deep Ayin may indeed come close to a G or even an R.
***
G (velar or uvular) is in fact less deep that Ayin (pharyngeal).

A.
***