b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:51:45 -0500

1. Whatever it means, SHRIYQOT OLAM is negligible. Some people will hiss or whistle "forever". So what. (BTW I think that the root SHRK is a variant of ZRQ, with SHRIQAH meaning ZRIYQAH, 'hurling out air'.)

2. The BRIT OLAM of Gen. 9:16 is indeed (in the words of King James) 'everlasting covenant', where everlasting means 'unlimited in time', or 'irrevocable, not cancelable, to last AD OLAM'.

3. What do you think of HA-OLAM of Eccl. 3:11?

Isaac Fried, Boston University