b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:18:15 -0600

Hello Isaac:

Thanks for your responsive remarks.

Please allow me to reply in inverse order.

a. It seems to me that a fair reading of the tense and tenor of jeremiah
17:4, and chapter 17 (your paragraph 2), ... yields the
reasonable conclusion that these events will happen; not might; not maybe;
not supposedly; not hypothetically ... happen.

b. Taking the "forever" out of עד עולם here, appears to me anyhow, as
theology arriving; and facts departing. No factual (versus theological)
basis exists for dramatically changing the meaning of עד עולם in genesis
13:15; and jeremiah 17:4.

b. As for jeremiah 18:16 (your paragraph1), I would respond with

והיתה הקשת בענן וראיתיה לזכר ברית עולם בין אלהים ובן כל נפש חיה בכל בשר
אשר על הארץ

genesis 9:16

Does this covenant become a "world class" covenant or a "long term"
convenant (versus a "forever covenant"), given the missing little עד ?

I look forward to hearing from you, on your understanding of the meaning of
עולם in genesis 9:16? Does it mean "forever?" or simply "world class?" or
"long term?"

regards,

fred burlingame