b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:18:46 -0500

Strange, strange, curios, curios.

1. Both ABRAHAM (Ge. 17:17) and SARAH (Gen. 18:12) performed the act of צחק inwardly, apparently without uttering a sound.

2. Then, in 18:13-15, there is this petty argument about the "laughing".

3. Then, in Gen. 21:3, it is stated that ABRAHAM called his son YICXAK, but with no reference to this previous incident of the "laughing", except that SARAH is saying now (21:6) that other people will laugh. The laugh of derision?

4. Did SARAH call him by a different name?

5. The bible goes out of its way to make it clear to us that צחק is not mere laughing, to wit: Gen. 21:9, Gen 26:8, Gen. 39:14 and Ex. 32:6.

6. I still can not imagine parents calling their son by the silly name of Willlaugh. I suspect you might encounter objections from the registrar upon trying
to call a son Willsinganddance.

7. Conclusion: YICXAK is not what it seems to be. Namely, a Hebrew name is not a Hebrew word.

Isaac Fried, Boston University