b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix - ONE MORE DAY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix - ONE MORE DAY
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:38:46 +0200

Yes, what he said...

Yigal Levin

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of George Athas
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:24 PM
To: B-Hebrew

Two options I can think of off the top of my head, Jim:

1. Updating of the text at a later time to reflect later phonology.
2. The waw is a vestige of an old diphthong which eventually evolved into
a pure vowel in a later stage of the language.

The ון- diminutive suffix is common enough in Hebrew as a native feature that
there’s really no need for recourse to another language to explain it. It
really is no big deal.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au
(currently in Cairo, Egypt)