b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: <if AT math.bu.edu>, <jimstinehart AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:57:10 +0100

From: jimstinehart AT aol.com

[clip]

From where I sit, you have not undercut the pinpoint historical accuracy of
a single letter in the 25 non-Semitic names set forth in the Patriarchal narratives. The incredible accuracy as to these non-Semitic names from the Late Bronze Age confirms both the antiquity, and historical accuracy, of this Biblical text. Once people start looking at your website, they will gain a whole new appreciation for the antiquity and accuracy of the Patriarchal narratives in a mid-14th century BCE historical time period.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois

***

I suppose a lot of ink has already been used on the topic
but
looking at the genealogies transmitted from David backward to Sem, I found this order:

Shem: Eponymic pseudo-ancestor

Born ca.:
1725 Arphaxad
1690 Salah
1660 Eber
1626 Peleg
1596 Reu
1564 Serug
1534 Nahor

1505 Terah
1474 Abram
1443 Isaac
1412 Jacob
1381 Joseph / Levi
1350 Judah / Kohath
1319 Perez / Amran
1288 Hezron / Moses
1257 Ram
1226 Amminadab
1195 Nahshon
1164 Salmon
1133 Boaz (the husband of Ruth)
1102 Obed
1071 Jesse
1040 David
Salomon

The datebirth of David is more or less well-known I suppose.
Applying an average human generational gap of 31 years, then it puts Abraham born ca. 1474 (Probably with a +/- 20 years uncertainty).
I suppose somebody did that kind of calculation before.
I kept the gaps for the first names as they look acceptable.

It makes your Battle of Kings contemporary of Tidal = possibly Tudaliya (II) ca. 1430 to 1400 BC.

In all cases your dating seems too low.

For what it's worth...

Arnaud Fournet