b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:36:06 -0500

Fred,

It seems that your question has more to do with textual criticism--why
relatively few LXX/MT differences are decided "in favour of" LXX. Is this
right?

You might find Emanuel Tov, *Textual Criticism*, helpful, or his earlier
work on the Septuagint (1980?). Sorry, I'm doing this from home, and most of
my books are at school.

Also, no English version that I know footnotes every time the translators or
editors decide to accept a particular reading of LXX. This is, again, a
matter of textual criticism (above).

Fred Putnam