b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:29:24 -0500

Sure, Gary.

The sequences are the same, as I point out to students when they first
encounter the "alef-bet" in Hebrew 101. Also, don't forget yod, kaf, lamed,
mem, nun (j, k, l, m, n).

All Western European languages use an alphabet inherited from the Romans
(the Cyrillic alphabet was adapted from the Greek alphabet). Some use
different diacritical marks, but the underlying alphabet is the same. This
does
not mean that, e.g., Hungarian is related to Portugese.

Fred