b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:54:35 -0600

Hello Kevin:

Thanks for your comments.

I can appreciate your distinction between alphabet and language.

The tie that binds greek and hebrew, phoenician alphabet, appears to me,
however, more than a matter of form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Greek_alphabet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Hebrew_alphabet

I just don't see why (cognate to hebrew) ugarit language (for example, but
without limitation) instructs the understanding of biblical hebrew; whereas
ancient greek does not do so.

regards,

fred burlingame