b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] priest code?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] priest code?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:16:33 -0600

Normal rigours of academic inquiry reveal a plethora of themes and symbols
assembled by and manifest in the english language of Moby-Dick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby-Dick#Themes

Why does not the same academic rigour apply to the numerous metaphors and
themes disclosed by the hebrew language masoretic text ("MT")?

My posts do not seek to treat the MT any differently than Moby-Dick.

The statement that:

כי לא תעזר נפשי לשאול לא תתן חסידך לראות שחת
appears susceptible of two inquiries:

a. is it true?; and

b. was it made?
I can understand the out of bounds nature here of inquiry "a." But inquiry
"b" seems to me to fit squarely within the purpose of this forum.

After all, is not the entire purpose of language use or study, to figure out
what is being said? If you can't determine what meaning attaches to a
particular assembly of alefbet letters, does not it all become just so much
meaningless dust on the paper?

regards,

fred burlingame