b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 06:23:42 -0500

You said it just right: "that simply means "window"". There is no such thing in Hebrew "that simply mean window". What stands in your way of accepting what I am saying, I think, is your insistence of thinking in terms of European languages, which are left with only stand-alone words after having lost their root system and their corresponding originally natural grammars. Hebrew does not have words per se; Hebrew has only roots which it builds up into words by certain systematic additions. The question is: what are these additions.
The word XALON comes from the root XL or XLL, 'include'. The internal A sound is, methinks, just a breathing separator between the consonants, but what is this -ON addition tucked up at the end of XAL to make XALON, does it mean anything? What do you think?

Isaac Fried, Boston University