b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Plural Pronomial Suffixes used in a Singular sense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Joseph Roberts <josephroberts3 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Plural Pronomial Suffixes used in a Singular sense
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 07:28:35 +0100

> (JR) I was reading about translations surrounding Genesis 3:15. It was
> interesting to note that though many translate a portion of the verse as
> "it
> shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." the verb
> "tesuphenu"
> has the first person plural ending yet it is translated as third person
> singular. Is this a theological leaning or sometimes can a plural ending be
> used in a singular sense?
> Joseph Roberts

Compare, Joseph, the following two patterns:

http://www.oham.net/out/PS-t/PS-t1996.html
and
http://www.oham.net/out/PS-t/PS-t1995p.html

Do you see some difference between them?

Remark: when -nu = -hu = him/it, then the nun has dagesh, while when -nu =
us, then it lacks it.

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)