b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 00:07:19 -0400

No one (not even the Hebrew "academy") is missing it because it is redundant.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Oct 30, 2010, at 11:55 PM, Kevin Riley wrote:

Of course people missed it. I am sure it was one of the things that old men reminisced about and pointed out as just one more way in which the younger generations were not living up to expectations. But it was centuries ago and everyone has moved on. There have been so many other things to fight about and regret since then. But that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Much like the subjuctive in English, or the distinction between shall and will. They are gone, but we should remember them, even if our generation does not use them.

Kevin Riley