b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:28:31 -0700

wayyiktob Karl
> Let’s go back to the beginning.
> I asked if this [מאד m'd--RB] were an example of a
> piel participle [root alef.yod.dalet. --RB].

This is easiest to resolve by asking what form such a pi``el would
take and how it might be written? Since you proposed this to Pere
it would only be curtious to provide him with your proposed form.
He has expressed his doubts that you can do that.
He has good reason.

I've expressed my doubts, too, commenting that the proposal
looks like an application of 'first year grammar' concepts without
regard to BH itself. So without a proposed and supported form
there is nothing to discuss. Just how do you propose to take a
root alef.yod.dalet and produce a pi``el participle spelled
mem.alef.dalet?

brakot
Randall BUth

--