b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yemenite Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yemenite Hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:15:17 -0500

I'll check out the Wiki thing. The last time I was in Israel, I stayed with a friend of mine at Tel Aviv University. He was a Yemenite Jew and was explaining some of the phonology. It has become an item of interest now because I am doing a lot of work on ancient inscriptions. It's natural when you read them to wonder about things like phonology, sibilants, waw consecutives, etc. I guess what intrigued me is what circumstances would preserve archaisms in phonology in Hebrew spoken in Yemen if, in fact, it is true.

Jack Kilmon