b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel Participles of ayin-waw-yod
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:57:00 -0700

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu> wrote:
> I have never heard it being "lengthened" in Hebrew.

Length has dropped out of Hebrew dialects today. The Shmuelof
recordings on the web often pronounce consonantal length and of
course Arabic dialects still preserve consonantal length, so that
the cognate form-structure to Hebrew pi``el, the fa``al(a) pattern,
has clearly enunciated length.

'Length' is a linguistic term to describe what is happening and does
not relate to orthographies, whether they double a Latin letter or
use some extra marking like Arabic shadda or Hebrew dagesh..

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org