b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dagesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dagesh
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:24:45 +0200

(Isaac Fried)

> It does not exist in Hebrew. I never "geminate" anything, and I have never
> heard other Hebrew speakers "geminate" anything. For what?
>
> (Pere Porta)

We should carefully distingish, Isaac, between the "langue" and the "parole"
(Saussure). The theory of the language and the practice of this language in
everyday people's lives.

Why do you say that gemination (dagesh) does not exist in Hebrew? Because
you never "geminate" anything?

You'll at least agree with me that there is a great difference between:
-yamim (no gemination), days (Gn 4:3)
and
-yammim (gemination), seas (Ps 8:9)

between:
-kanim (no gemination), reeds (Ex 25:32)
and
-kannim (gemination), pedestals (not in the Bible). This is the plural of
'ken' (1K 7:31).

You often seem, Isaac, to be against many well-grounded traditions within
the Hebrew grammar...

When you show your opposition to a given (language or grammar) "custom", you
should always CAREFULLY justify this opposition by reasonning it, by
bringing some examples in support of your position, and so on...

Some days ago you made a quite disrespectful statement towards the Academy
of the Hebrew Language. And I cannot accept this.

I'm not a list Moderator, but.... please: either stop your often repeated
opposition (to this and to that and that...) or... CAREFULLY JUSTIFY IT!

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)