b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 20:07:27 -0500

Hello Barry:

I attempted a narrow, single point at the commencement of this thread, to
wit:

the balanced and symmetrical isaiah 61:1 in the classical, original, hebrew
text, ... lost its symmetry and balance through two iterations of greek
translation; first, the septuagint old testament; and second, the greek luke
4:18 rendering.

That single fact received much comment, but refutation not.

The conclusions that may or may not attach to such fact vary with opinions
of posters.

But the fact of the superiority of the hebrew rendering of isaiah 61:1, over
the greek, withstands reasonable attack.

Regards,

fred burlingame