b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:04:21 -0500

Hello Barry:

Thanks for your comments.

Please allow me to respond.

I agree with all of your comments in paragraph "1" of your post.

As to your questions in paragraph "2," I offer the following.

Isaiah 61:1 furnishes one piece of evidence (millions may exist) supporting
a hebrew new testament autograph. Hebrew Isaiah 61:1 utilized Strong's
number 6495 (derived from Strong's number 6491) to express the thought
"opening" of ones bound (with fetters).

The customary hebrew usage of Strong's 6491 however, occurs in opening the
eyes. A hebrew language speaker would know that. A greek language speaker
would not appreciate the richness of meaning through the lens of a greek
word carrying a single other meaning of opening chains.

It's obvious the LXX translator struggled to convey this dual hebrew usage
into a single greek word. The LXX translator accordingly opted to change
Hebrew Isaiah 61:1 to recite in greek: "to the blind, recovery of sight."

The subsequent new testament ("n.t.") translator recognized this problem
again. He opted for keeping the prevalent hebrew usage of Strong's 6491 in
Luke 4:18 (and as his predecessor had so added to the LXX). The n.t.,
translator also restored the lost hebrew usage with the clause "to free
those oppressed."

The resulting imbalance with 5 total clauses in the n.t. translation
(instead of two couplets) caused the n.t. translator to delete the clause:
"to heal the ones being brokenhearted."

This sequence of events (from hebrew to first greek translation of o.t., and
thence to second greek translation of n.t.) vividly testifies to and argues
for a hebrew original n.t.

The foregoing discussion also shows the authority of a later re-translation
over an earlier suppoed "original" document.

I hope that these comments answer your questions, even if you disagree.

Regards,

fred burlingame