b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the hellenization of isaiah
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 09:28:23 +0200

Dear all,

Let us remember that this is not a "faith-based" list. We are all here to
discuss and to learn. Some are Christians, some are Jews, some would claim
to be total atheists. There is nothing wrong with "mentioning" one's faith
(or non-faith) perspective, but we all must remember that other members may
not share that perspective. It's not really a matter of offending (why
should anyone be offended by another's faith), but rather of finding a
common basis for discussion. Many of us do not share the assumption that the
"Old Testament" was written or should be read with the Christian Messiah in
mind. To some of them, Is. 49 was prophesying the Babylonian Exile, when
Jews may have felt that God had abandoned them. To others, who don't assume
that Isaiah could really prophesize about the future, this must be a "second
Isaiah", who lived and preached during the Exile itself. To both groups,
various passages in the NT may refer to Isaiah 49 and re-interpret it in
such a way that would be relevant for followers of Jesus, but they do not
teach us about the original meaning of the text of Isaiah.

Yigal Levin