b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:15:43 -0700

David:

Your comment that you already know what many of us would respond made me
hesitate addressing your question directly.

As for why the different versions and textual traditions have the name
differently written, can be explained simply as a result of textual
corruption (copyist errors).

As for the name’s meaning, now we go into the area of speculation. Not all
names have clear connections to linguistic roots, and for some, that was
deliberate. Therefore we cannot make the assumption that names will have
recognizable roots. I don’t like speculating, so I prefer merely to
recognize that here we deal with a name, and let it go at that.

Karl W. Randolph.