b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:26:35 -0400

If I may be allowed to address David Kolinsky’s initial questions:

1. “As far as I know, there is no root (NR in the semitic languages.”

I think we all agree with that. (NR makes no sense in west Semitic.

2. “It was striking to me that in the Samaritan version this character's
name is
Aniram ‘(NY-RM’ which may mean ‘he who is humble is exalted’."

Faced with a name that is inexplicable in west Semitic, (NR, one easy way to
Semitize it is to add an M at the end, resulting in either (N-RM or (N-Y-RM.
[The yod/Y in the middle of a proper name is a one-letter logogram that
simply indicates a proper name. Thus )B-RM is identical in meaning to
)B-Y-RM.] The logical conclusion is that the Samaritan version added an M at
the end in order to make sense out of this name. It would make no sense
whatsoever for the Masoretic text to see (N-Y-RM, which makes perfect sense
in west Semitic, and turn it into west Semitic jibberish as (NR.

3. “Presumably, (NN was the original because there is little reason for the
Greek text to have changed the name.”

I fail to see the logic there. The Septuagint often changed the original,
and is not as reliable as the unpointed Masoretic text. An alternative way
of making sense out of the strange (NR is to change the last letter to an N,
resulting in (N-N, as a slightly shortened form of (NH-N. Once again, if the
original were (N-N, there would be no reason to change that name [which makes
sense in west Semitic as (NH-N] to (NR, which does not make sense in west
Semitic.

4. What the Samaritan version and the Septuagint are struggling with here is
precisely what George Athas highlighted: -R is not a Semitic suffix.

In a previous post, I suggested that -R might be a non-Semitic suffix on an
Amorite root (N, with such root meaning the Amorite god An or Anu. However,
on reconsideration, an all-Hurrian analysis is much more straightforward,
despite the fact that Aner is stated to be the “brother” of the Amorite Mamre
at Genesis 14: 13. Although rare in Hebrew, the word “brother”/)X can mean
an “ally or confederate”. Amos 1: 9 Of importance here, that meaning of the
word “brother” is ubiquitous in the Amarna Letters. Royal monarchs call the
pharaoh “brother”. Hurrian princelings in particular always call fellow
Hurrian princelings “brother”, not meaning male blood sibling, but rather
with “brother” meaning “fellow princeling”. Accordingly, when (NR is stated
to be the “brother” of the Amorite MMR), here that means that (NR is a fellow
princeling, not necessarily an Amorite.

Though a west Semitic analysis of (NR is hopeless, a Hurrian analysis of (NR
is child’s play. If you look at p. 90 of Arnaud Fournet’s Hurrian language
website, you will see these two entries:

(1) *[Øíni] [P x-] ‘god, deity’
EL eni <e-ni-> UG [Õ n]
UR <in> Subarean e-ne ‘god’

(2) *[Øinarγa] (Essive) ‘looking or acting like a god’
CA <e-na-ar-xa>.

With the Hurrian consonantal root of “god” or “deity” apparently correlating
to the Hebrew letters (N [where the initial Hurrian vowel must be
represented], then adding the standard Hurrian comitative suffix -R, the
resulting (N-R makes perfect sense as a Hurrian princeling name, meaning
“with a god” in Hurrian.

Note also that on this view, (N in Hurrian is not the name of a specific
pagan god, so it would not be particularly offensive to the Hebrew author.

At Genesis 14: 1, we see )MR-PL as an Amorite princeling being paired with
the Hurrian princeling Arawa-ka/)RYW-K. So the Amorite M-MR)/Mamre could
similarly be paired with a Hurrian “brother”/princeling: (N-R.

If we’re willing to consider that -R may possibly be a non-Semitic suffix,
then (N-R makes good sense in a portion of text that not only references the
Hurrian princeling Arawa-ka, but also references the Hurrians/H-XR-Y at
Genesis 14: 6 as well. For that matter, I see XCC-N at Genesis 14: 7 as
being the Hurrian word for Xasi/Hasi, and I myself see all four names of the
rebellious princelings at Genesis 14: 2 as being Hurrian common words, each
of which effectively means “Hurrian princeling” in Hurrian, which are deftly
used as nicknames for the historical league of Hurrian princelings.

If one is willing to consider the Hurrian aspects of chapter 14 of Genesis,
the name (N-R makes perfect sense as a Hurrian name, while making no sense in
west Semitic.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois