b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:41:56 -0700 (PDT)

George,

I was hoping to perhaps discuss this a little further, and not in reference
to Jim's response.

It was striking to me that in the Samaritan version this character's name is
Aniram "(NY-RM" which may mean "he who is humble is exalted."   As far as I
know, there is no root (NR in the semitic languages.  It is also, not
uncommon to find words with final He, with their 2nd root letter doubled in a
related word.  So (NN may also be related to (NH also suggesting "a condition
of humility."  Presumably, (NN was the original because there is little
reason for the Greek text to have changed the name. Perhaps, those who may
have felt comfortable making modifications to the text, felt that (NN was
vague in meaning.  (NY-RM is much clearer but also an oxymoron.  Perhaps,
ANH-NR was more acceptable to some, "He who is humble is like a candle."  A
small light, a humble light, that is nevertheless capable of shedding enough
light for an entire room.   ANH-NR contracting to ANR.

I have been reading your discussions for more than a year and have a sense of
many of the individual perspectives in this group.  I don't expect a
favorable response to this theory, but I figured I would throw it out there
and see what comes back.  Nevertheless, even if this theory is generally
dismissed there is still the question about variability in the text.

Any thoughts or comments.

Thank you
David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA