b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:06:08 -0700

Arnaud:

2010/7/24 Arnaud Fournet <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>

samech with an “x” (k-s) phoneme.

I do not buy the theory that the Latins learned the alphabet from the
Greeks, as some of the letter forms appear to hearken back to an earlier
stage of development than when the Greeks got the alphabet. If my reading of
the evidence is correct, that means that the Etruscans, from whom the Latins
learned the alphabet, got it before the Greeks did, thereby making the Latin
evidence independent of the Greek evidence.

So if the samech was originally a xameke that lost its unique pronunciation
during the Persian era, as I think the evidence indicates, then it would not
have conflicted with the tsada (t-s) as a different phoneme.