b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Nooo! Don't go!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Nooo! Don't go!
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:12:39 +1000

Yitzhak and b-hebrew members and moderators!

Please resolve whatever is the source of the problem here,
lest we lose Yitzhak Sapir, whose input has been intelligent and valuable.

I do not know of whom he speaks, or the details,
but if there is a mocker amongst us,
let pressure be put on that one to change his approach or leave.

Garth Grenache,
Australia.

> Message: 14
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:10:18 +0300
> From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
> To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: [b-hebrew] Goodbye
>
> Dear All,
>
> A few days ago a list member identified viewpoints with which I agree
> as mythology. This offensive remark and caricature of my viewpoints
> met no rebuke from the moderators even when he repeated it and
> even when he admitted it was deliberate. Indeed, his message
> could have remained just as clear without the word "mythology" or
> even without a discussion of opposing viewpoints. It even seems
> to me he went out of his way to discuss the opposing viewpoints
> simply so he could have a chance to label them "mythology." The
> moderators did choose to respond when I objected. According to the
> moderators' logic, by claiming he was creating a hostile environment
> when calling opposing viewpoints "mythology", I was guilty of an
> uncalled for personal attack.
>
> The hostile environment to "liberal" viewpoints is so strong that just
> over a week or so ago, I received an off-list response to the
> "Jerusalem" thread because as the author himself said, he did not
> want this same list member (and others) to divert the discussion
> (his message contained a discussion of controversial topics like
> standard linguistics and phonology). I have been careful not to label
> any list members' viewpoints as myth, even in such a thread as
> "ANE Myth and Torah." I feel such depictions are not only offensive
> to the people who hold them but they have the potential to inhibit
> and "censor" responses by those who feel their viewpoints are not
> welcome.
>
> I don't know why I am expected to take such depictions of my
> viewpoints quietly, or why the moderators feel that I'm not allowed
> to object and that objecting is a personal attack. I have given myself
> time to rethink it over, to consider the alternatives. But I truly feel so
> unwelcome in this situation, so this is goodbye.
>
> In spite of it all, let us remember.
> "For it is this that our heart weeps, of these our eyes are dark, For
> the Mount of Zion that is desolate, Of the foxes that walk upon it."
>
> Yitzhak Sapir

New, Used, Demo, Dealer or Private? Find it at CarPoint.com.au
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/206222968/direct/01/