b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Mythology (Was: Nooo! Don't go!)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Mythology (Was: Nooo! Don't go!)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:03:28 -0400

Arnaud,

What Barry is saying is technically correct among people who study
"mythology" and History of Religions. The popular mind equates mythology
with fiction, which is where the problem comes. I run into this all the
time. In the U.S. there are several very strong myths that we tell
ourselves, besides the Washington cherry tree incident. The Big Bang,
while a scientific statement, is actually a creation myth (don't start
an argument over whether it is true or not! That is not the point).

Myths are very powerful, which is why they are used. If you follow
post-modernism, you might call them metanarratives.

And now, perhaps some Hebrew :)

James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division