b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:10:31 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
To: "James Christian" <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
Cc: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 5:46 AM
Subject: [b-hebrew] T-SADE

Maybe this has already been discussed before, but I have some questions about the affricate or non affricate pronunciation of (T)SADE.

Cantineau 1954 discusses a Greek manuscrit called Vaticanus of the Lamentations supposedly dating back to the IVth century AD, which mentions in Greek letters Tau-Sigma-Alpha-D-Eta as name of that letter. He infers from that document that the affricate pronunciation must be old and possibly the original one.
So I have a handful of questions about the presumed authenticity of that manuscrit, its dating and its relevance for TSADE or SADE, possible alterations or any reason to conclude in this or that direction, or not to conclude at all, or to prefer some other better reference for that issue. What should exactly be thought about that issue?

With my good friend Mr. Google I found:

http://tinyurl.com/25zrhnm

and:

http://tinyurl.com/2ajft7x

You are referring to Codex Vaticanus:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/codex-b.html

Practically any textbook on text criticism will give you more information, Metzger, Aland, et al.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry