b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:21:30 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
To: fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr ; uzisilber AT gmail.com
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:48 PM

Dr. Fournet:

I had written to Uzi: “[J]ust look at all the vintage Hurrian names in the Patriarchal narratives: $N(R, )RYWK, BR(, BR%(, $M)BR, $N)B, XCCN TMR, (PRWN, )YLWN, and B)RY. Those are vintage Late Bronze Age Hurrian names that would have been incomprehensible to all later Biblical authors.”

***

I wonder if these kings are not indeed Kassite

BR( could be Buri-aa (he is ?) King
BR% could be BuriaS King of the land
Buri is the Kassite form of Hurrian ebri and it does have a voiced initial.

SM)BR could be Young King
Simbi is attested as meaning young

Has this already been proposed?

Arnaud Fournet