b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:34:49 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
To: fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr ; uzisilber AT gmail.com
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:55 PM

Dr. Fournet:

I must confess that I am surprised by several of your assertions.

1. Richard Hess is the #1 scholar in the world for analyzing names in the Amarna Letters. Many of those names are Hurrian names. I cannot lightly dismiss a published analysis by Richard Hess of the Hurrian name Pi-ri-iz-zi attested in Amarna Letters EA 27: 89, 93 and EA 28: 12. As I noted in my prior post, Pi-ri-iz-zi is a messenger of Hurrian King Tushratta of Mitanni/Naharim, so we would expect Pi-ri-iz-zi to be a Hurrian name. Richard Hess explicitly states at p. 125 of “Amarna Personal Names”: “The language represented by this PN is Hurrian. Pi-ri-iz-zi is a hypocoristic name, composed of ewri ‘lord’ and zzi, a (hypocoristic?) suffix.”

Yet you dismiss that entire scholarly analysis with a wave of the hand, saying:

“In all cases, Pirizzi and ebri/ewri cannot have any relationship.”

***
Well, I have not read Hess.
But in all cases, nobody mentions the existence of an hypocoristic suffix -zzi in Hurrian; nobody mentions the existence of a #piri- base in Hurrian; nobody mentions that the first syllable of a Hurrian word can ever be lost or muted out.
So the analysis proposed by Hess strikes me as ad-hoc and unsupported by anything we know for sure about Hurrian.
I maintain that Pirizzi and ebri/ewri cannot have any relationship and that Pirizzi is dubious as Hurrian in the first place.
A.
***

2. On a related issue, I was shocked to hear you say this:

“The idea that p and b could be interchangeable is completely inacceptable.”

Unless I am taking that statement of yours out of context, I do not see how your statement could possibly be true. Here is part of what the Fournet/Bomhard website says about this matter:
That’s B being interchangeable with P.
(ii) And here are the first three entries under B at p. 84, with P being interchangeable in all three cases!

“*[baban] ‘mountain’. EL pabani <pa-ab-ni, wa-wa-n> UG [p b n].
UR <baba>
*[babanγi] ‘mountainous’. EL paban¯i <pa-ba-an-¯i> UG [p b n x].
*[baγ-] ‘to destroy’. CA <pa/wa-a¯->.”

(iii) P. 85 is more of the same:

“*[buru] ‘strong’. CA <pu/wu-ú-ru>
*[burni] ‘house, temple’. EL pur(u)li, purni <pu-ur-ni, wu-ur-ni>.
UR <purule>
*[buruγli-] ‘east or south’ (?). EL wuru¯li <wu/bu-ru-u¯-li>
*[butki] ‘son’. EL putki <pu-ut-ki, wu-ú-ut-ki93>
Subarean <pi-it-qu> *[pitku ?]”

Based on the Fournet/Bomhard Hurrian language website, P and B and W seem to be interchangeable on a fairly routine basis.

(b) At p. 97: “Letter/Phoneme *p. It can be noted that initial #p- is rather rare and #pu- attested in only one word, which Neu (1988) writes with a #b-.”

That’s P being interchangeable with B.

(c) At p. 43: “…šän-a-b ‘your brother’…” There we see a final B. But “your brother” is attested in the Mitanni Letter [Amarna Letter EA 24] at line I 89 as $e-e-na-a-ap-pe. Note the double P. [Also note that the final i in the root word $ani or $eni changes to a with this suffix, which is why we have $N-)-B at Genesis 14: 2.]

E.A. Speiser in his 1941 classic “Introduction to Hurrian” states at p. 63 regarding this general phenomenon: “Now –b/w is a spirant…. The combination of two spirants (evidently voiced) yields the written form –pp-, a doubled sound (evidently voiceless stop).”

So once again, we see B being interchangeable with P.

***

No
what we have here is that Hurrian may have reduced a three-fold opposition between word-initial b / p / w into a two-fold opposition by fusing b either with p or with w.
Some dialects have B > w, some others have b > p.
In addition cuneiform is obscure and further compounds the issue.
In all cases Hurrian as we know it does not seem to have any voiced initial.
Word-initially B is not interchangeable with p because word-initial b is impossible.
A.
***

* * *

Given the above, I don’t see how you can make the following flat statement: “The idea that p and b could be interchangeable is completely inacceptable.”

Au contraire, P and B being interchangeable in Hurrian is attested out the wazzoo.

***
No, I disagree.
A.
***

(d) Finally, here is a Hurrian analysis (from a website that, most unfortunately, is no longer operational):

“Ep-r'i-ba-ta. To explain the name Eprip-atal (or perhaps Ewrip-atal) is not easy. The sound element atal, is common at Nuzi; the first element, eprip, could be epri, Nuzian erwi, plus the suffix -p.”

So epri is viewed as being interchangeable with ewri or, reversing the consonants as at Nuzi, erwi. That’s P being interchangeable with W. As shown above, P and W and B are often interchangeable. To quote the F/B website one last time, at p. 106: “Letter/Phoneme *w. Many words historically attested with <#w-> can be traced back to *b.”
***
I cannot comment on this.
It would require a reference to a cuneiform rough transcription.
i don't know what <Ep-r'i-ba-ta> stands for. It's not possible that ebri as a noun would receive the (archaic) verbal suffix -b.
A.
***

3. I myself see BR$( at Genesis 14: 2 as being the Hurrian common word ebri-ssi. [We need to imply a Hurrian e at the beginning, by analogy to the word $M)BR at Genesis 14: 2, where the aleph there is telling us that the B is preceded by a Hurrian e, as the discrete Hurrian syllable 'eb'.] BR$(/ebri-ssi means “your lord” in Hurrian, and as such implies “Hurrian princeling”. The early Hebrew author is telling us, by use of this Hurrian common word as an apt nickname, that this member of the five rebellious parties was a “Hurrian princeling”. In fact, all four personal names of the defeated league of five rebellious parties at Genesis 14: 2 effectively mean, in Hurrian: “Hurrian princeling”. Historically, that matches the fact that in the Great Syrian War in western Syria in the mid-14th century BCE, a coalition of four attacking rulers of various ethnicities (including a mighty Hittite king) destroyed a league of five Hurrian princelings in the Orontes River Valley. The pinpoint historical accuracy of the “four kings against five” at Genesis 14: 1-11 is stunning. But to see that, one must recognize that all four personal names at Genesis 14: 2 are Hurrian common words.
***
ok
you repeat your original PoV and I have already stated that I consider impossible that the initial syllable of ebri or ewri could be lost.
In addition it runs against expectations that these people are referred to with Hurrian names when we expect Indo-Aryan sounding names.

As far as I understand your reasoning, you state that:

1. Hurrian names can be dated to the 14th century BCE
2. Some Hurrian names are attested in Genesis 14.

My Pov is that 1. is doubtless wrong (Hurrian survived much longer, maybe 1000 years more) and that 2. is not supported by what these names look like (these names do not sound like possible Hurrian words).

I'll check what the T. oec. B. I have states about Genesis 14.

Best Regards

Arnaud Fournet
***