b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:28:55 -0700

Stoney:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Stoney Breyer <
stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com> wrote:

> Karl:
>
> You are confusing four things:

Oh???

> * the origin and meaning of the name Asher, which is a question for
> philologists knowledgeable in historical and comparative linguistics, but
> has no necessary connection with

Just as comparative linguistics can be led astray by words in different
languages having the same or similar form but vastly different meanings, so
historical linguistics, unless grounded in recovered or saved examples, is
even more speculative. Human history can take unexpected turns that no model
can account for.

> * Leah's understanding of the name's meaning, which may reflect the
> real meaning, or folk etymology of Leah's or some subsequent time, or a
> graceful authorial pun, or a calculated authorial false etymology designed
> to obscure a connection between Asher and Asherah, but in any case has no
> necessary connection with

Questions answered elsewhere, either directly or as a logical consequence of
other answers.

> * the historical truth of the account, which is absent Leah's own
> memoirs not recoverable, but in any case has no necessary connection
> (particularly if you regard the text as divinely inspired) with

The evidence from Genesis is that this account was written down by
contemporaries of Leah (divine inspiration not necessary), therefore could
recount what she told them.

> * the date at which the account was composed, whether in Moses' time
> or Ezra's or Judas the Hammer's

What? I expressly referenced this question—do you accept the text as written
(or more accurately, assume that the copyist errors are minimal) or do you
preach the modern mythology of late authorship?

Karl W. Randolph.