b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:50:11 -0400

given the canaanite component of bnai yisrael, i thought it more than
conceivable that asher and ashera were related. the tree symbol seemed like
a very interesting piece of circumstantial evidence, perhaps the tribal
emblems were handed down through the ages, like many midrashim and other
extra biblical material.

while were on the subject could Zvulun mean "Zvuv resided here"?
And what does Naftali literally mean?
Also it was mentioned some days ago that Ephraim might be derived from Ofra.
is that true? if so how? oftra is with an ayin and efraim with alef.